Sunday, November 28, 2010

Nothing But Meat

I wrote previously that I had an especially captivating image (in my opinion) selected to illustrate for The Magic Galoshes / The Goloshes of Fortune.  I went on to mention that I've been referencing no fewer than three different translations of Andersen in this project, so some discrepancies are to be expected.  The image I've chosen to illustrate this time is described thusly by Haugaard and H. P. Paull (translator of the online [public domain 1872] translation I've been referencing), respectively:

"Now he was crawling on his hands and knees through a butcher shop.  Everywhere there was meat and more meat."


"Next he crept on his hands and knees through an overfilled butcher’s shop; there was meat, nothing but meat, wherever he stepped..."

I prefer the Paull translation, personally.
Without further ado, here is a sketch I've done based on that line.  There is a pretty good chance that this sketch will become a painting or a more finished drawing one of these days, as I am rather fond of it.

Meat, Nothing But Meat

No comments: