Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Steadfast Tin Soldier

I read the Haugaard translation of Andersen's The Steadfast Tin Soldier (a.k.a. The Brave Tin Soldier), but I have yet to read the older translation.  (Though I can tell you right now I prefer the decision to use the word "brave" rather than "steadfast" in a fairy tale / children's story - not because it is a word that children are more likely to know, I just think it's warmer and more evocative of an emotion.)   I feel the need to mention this, as this blog has become nearly as much a study of the differences between the older and newer translations as it is a place for my little drawings.  As often is the case, the part of the story that screamed out to me to be illustrated was not necessarily a vital part of the story.  Nonetheless...

"Have you got a passport?  Give me your passport!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It occurs to me that "steadfast" and "brave" are not at all the same thing. You're right about the warmth of "brave." I wonder, though... I don't see Andersen as evoking warmth in this way--at least, not for successful characters. He can't be brave--he can't do anything but stand there. And bravery is an active rather than passive characteristic. (Working through this while typing.) To me, it seems like the stoicism of "steadfast" fits with Andersen. I don't know that I would necessarily have considered this difference, had you not pointed it out! (P.S.--You should do Oscar Wilde next)