Monday, February 10, 2014

The Jumping Competition

I had so much fun with this one.

The Jumping Competition is probably my favorite kind of fairy tale. It's downright silly, has fun, non-human characters (with delightful personality flaws), and it granted me a perfect opportunity to draw a French Foreign Legion uniform (a tiny obsession of mine).

In case you read the story and find yourself wondering, as I did, just what on Earth a jumping jack is (alternatively translated as skipjack), I learned that it is a child's toy made by attaching a stick to a wishbone by the means of a short length of cord. It seems that the stick can be wound up, causing the entire apparatus to spring up.

For those of you who already follow me on instagram, these might look familiar. I jumped ahead and drew these guys a while back.

The flea enlisted in a foreign army and it was rumored that he was killed in battle.

The grasshopper sat down in the ditch and thought about the injustice of the world.


Watercolor & prisma on paper.

No comments: