Monday, January 10, 2011

The Garden of Eden

Haugaard translates the title of this tale as The Garden of Eden. Older translations call it The Garden of Paradise. Either way, I suppose you'd call it a Christian parable about man's inability to resist temptation. I won't dwell on the story; I spent far enough time poring over the illustration. What started as something simple quickly evolved into a fairly intricate and detailed work. I thoroughly enjoyed creating it, in fact, I couldn't put it down.

"Why, frost is my greatest delight."
[Graphite. Moleskine sketchbook. ~6 x 8.25"]

This is the North Wind, personified as one of four brothers who inhabit a cave with their mother. Yes, Andersen manages to weave all that into a story about Eden.
Buttons are the result of residual textile-themed influence from Kirby's Epic Yarn.



No comments: